Jul 5, 2023

Meeting between Armenia and Azerbaijan: little progress for Nagorno Karabakh

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Armenia and Azerbaijan made further progress towards a peace deal in the three-day US-hosted talks in late June, yet tensions persist in the disputed territory of Nagorno Karabakh. Read more in my recent piece for Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso Transeuropa. 

In early June in Chisinau, Moldova, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan announced that the Armenian and Azerbaijani Foreign Ministers, Ararat Mirzoyan and Jeyhun Bayramov, would meet again in Arlington, Virginia, on June 12. However, the meeting facilitated by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken only took place on June 27. Baku had requested a postponement the week before due to the visit of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, fresh from re-election, scheduled for June 12-13.

 

Despite the delay, there had initially been some hope that last week’s US-facilitated meeting could lead to a significant breakthrough, coming soon after last month’s meeting  between Azerbaijani President Aliyev and Armenian Prime Minister Pashinyan at the European political summit in Chisinau. Indeed, on June 8, senior Armenian officers in uniform arrived in the Azerbaijani capital for a meeting of the commanders of the Commonwealth of Independent States border guard services.

 

However, such hopes were short-lived. On June 15, Armenian forces fired on a group of Azerbaijani soldiers who had hoisted their national flag at one end of the Hakari Bridge which now houses the Baku checkpoint at the start of the Lachin Corridor, the strategic link between Armenia and the remnants of the former Nagorno Karabakh Autonomous Region that crosses into Azerbaijan’s sovereign territory, temporarily and ostensibly under the control of Russian peacekeepers.

 

In the absence of a properly demarcated border, such incidents are inevitable. Yet opposition activists in Armenia have also criticised  Yerevan for opening fire on Azerbaijani soldiers, claiming no warning shots were fired and that the only result of such an incident was the closure of the Lachin checkpoint and the imposition of what can now probably be considered a real blockade.

 

[…] 

 

“The population on the ground needs reassurances, first and foremost regarding their rights and security,” Charles Michel said following last weekend’s meeting. “In this context, I expressed the EU’s encouragement for direct dialogue between Baku and representatives of Armenians living in the former Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast. This dialogue should provide much-needed confidence for all those involved.”

The full article can be read here. 

 

CONFLICT VOICES e-BOOKS

 

Conflict Voices – December 2010

Short essays on the Nagorno Karabakh Conflict
Download in English | Russian

 

Conflict Voices – May 2011

Short essays on the Nagorno Karabakh Conflict
Download in English | Russian

Armenia-Azerbaijan Dialogue – Flogging a Dead Horse?

Armenia-Azerbaijan Dialogue – Flogging a Dead Horse?

Even though many believed a second Trump presidency was unlikely or even impossible, his re-election last November demonstrated how many people prefer to favour dreams over reality, transforming fears into self-fulfilling prophecies. This is a situation that can best describe how Track II diplomacy in the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict has been conducted over time.

read more
Can Pashinyan’s “Real Armenia” Satisfy both Baku and Armenian voters?

Can Pashinyan’s “Real Armenia” Satisfy both Baku and Armenian voters?

The Center of Analysis of International Relations has just published my latest on the continuing impasse and discussion on Baku’s demand to remove the current preamble to Armenia’s Constitution that I’ve been consistently covering since late January last year. This has also includes pieces mentioning attempts by various commentators in Armenia and Azerbaijan including AIR’s Farid Shafiyev.

read more